EvilGamer Forums  

Go Back   EvilGamer Forums > EverQuest > Tech Support/UI's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tech Support/UI's Computer and EverQuest tech support. Also, you can view peoples UI's here as a bonus.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Kelefane
Doom and Gloom

Rep Power: 1683 Kelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden god
Default Can DSL filters go bad?

Im going to assume so. The current filter that I have is well over 5 years old I think and my DSL modem has been link retraining on and off on a nightly basis. It'll do it when someone calls from that line at times....There is hella static in the phone at times as well.

Its a wall mounted filter to the phone jack. The DSL line + phone is plugged into that filter.

So im guessing replacing the filter will fix the issue huh?

Kelefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Arishkogol
Deity

Rep Power: 1085 Arishkogol is a golden godArishkogol is a golden godArishkogol is a golden godArishkogol is a golden godArishkogol is a golden godArishkogol is a golden godArishkogol is a golden godArishkogol is a golden godArishkogol is a golden godArishkogol is a golden godArishkogol is a golden god

The filter itself should be just a couple of bucks, so it wouldn't hurt to try that first.

but, if you're getting static, your line might be dirty and the phone company is supposed to clean them when that happens (iirc, that was part of the anti-trust deal back in the 70's. I don't know why I remember that, just do).

What do we want? BRAINS!!!! When do we want it? BRAAAIINS!!!

All praise be to the great Flying Spaghetti Monster... R'amen.
Arishkogol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
Kelefane
Doom and Gloom

Rep Power: 1683 Kelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden god

Doesnt the filter itself suppose to cut down on overall noise going into the phone itself? I know it separates the DSL line and phone lines themselves. And also, the reason that I think the filter maybe bad is due to the fact that the modem will at times, link retrain when someone calls me or if I call someone else. That isnt normal and this kind of just started happening recently.

Im just kind of curious what sort of symptoms one would see with a bad DSL filter.

Kelefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
Kozvar

Rep Power: 494 Kozvar is a golden godKozvar is a golden godKozvar is a golden godKozvar is a golden godKozvar is a golden godKozvar is a golden godKozvar is a golden godKozvar is a golden godKozvar is a golden godKozvar is a golden godKozvar is a golden god

Yes, DSL filters can deteriorate over time; depending on where you look/who you ask, I've seen that they should be replaced every 3 months, every 6 months, every year...I have no idea which of those is correct (I certainly wouldn't make it a habit of replacing my DSL filter every 3 months), but I do know that I bought new DSL filters a few months ago and they said right on the package that they should be replaced every six months for optimal performance.

That said, I would never replace the filters unless I was absolutely sure that the filters were the source of my problem; they're fairly cheap individually, but the cost can add up quickly if you have multiple filters in your house. I purchased new filters a few months ago because my Internet provider insisted that my frequent disconnects were due to faulty filters...but they stressed that just changing one filter wasn't going to be good enough -- they would *all* have to be changed. Since my filters were several *years* old, I figured that it was a fairly plausible explanation (and I confirmed online that filters do have a limited lifespan), but after spending over 50.00 on new filters, I was still having the same problem. It turned out to be a faulty modem, not a faulty filter, that was causing the issue.

I haven't really heard a lot of concrete advice about the symptoms to look for when trying to determine if your filters are faulty, unfortunately. Most people just say, "Change them anyway -- they're cheap and you should change them regularly regardless." The best advice that I've seen that *doesn't* involve blindly throwing money at something that may or may not resolve your issue is to test your connection speeds with and without the filter in place; if they're significantly faster without the filter, then it's probably faulty.
Kozvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Khauruk
Imposter

Rep Power: 376 Khauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden god

I've had one go bad before. I got a package of like 6 when I got DSL though, and I'm still using them up...
Khauruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
WaringMcMarrin
A Tad more useful than a Willsapper

Rep Power: 566 WaringMcMarrin is a golden godWaringMcMarrin is a golden godWaringMcMarrin is a golden godWaringMcMarrin is a golden godWaringMcMarrin is a golden godWaringMcMarrin is a golden godWaringMcMarrin is a golden godWaringMcMarrin is a golden godWaringMcMarrin is a golden godWaringMcMarrin is a golden godWaringMcMarrin is a golden god

If you have the ability to run wires in your house should look at setting up one filter to cover the entire house so you only have a single one to worry about.
WaringMcMarrin is offline   Reply With Quote