EvilGamer Forums  

Go Back   EvilGamer Forums > EverQuest > The Armory
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Armory Weapon, Armor, and Utility gear discussion.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Nightmare

Rep Power: 214 Nightmare is a sinister Shadow KnightNightmare is a sinister Shadow KnightNightmare is a sinister Shadow KnightNightmare is a sinister Shadow Knight
Default Weapon aug

I have noticed that very few people still use a rune 3 or 4 aug in their type 4/8 weapon slot.

Most Shadowknights have now an AC aug or a damage aug instead. Is this the new trend? Are the other augs now better than the rune augs? And if so, why? Is it because the heroics on an aug outweigh the proc of a secondary rune? Or do we proc so much with our primary rune that a secondary rune is no longer necessary?

Just curious.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Drakang
Stupid enough to accept a Guild lead tag

Rep Power: 284 Drakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a Bloodreaver

Alot still use a rune aug. Some just use the AC aug for magelo updates. I parsed it out and found that for me an AC aug seemed to work better than a rune Aug at mitigating damage. Since I was not really needing the AE taunt it generated i swapped to AC. Have not had any issues locking down all adds at a raid and keeping them aggroed if thats my job.

Some will yell up and down that your an idiot if you dont use a rune aug. Based on my testing and experience I found I took less damage with an AC aug than with a rune aug. Once I finish off my full cultural with raid augs I plan to retest it since my AC will be alot higher and might want to go back to the rune if testing proves its more effective.

Use what you feel works best for you.

The power of hate conquers all.
Drakang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Hevitanc
Established Member

Rep Power: 205 Hevitanc is a Dread LordHevitanc is a Dread LordHevitanc is a Dread LordHevitanc is a Dread LordHevitanc is a Dread LordHevitanc is a Dread LordHevitanc is a Dread LordHevitanc is a Dread LordHevitanc is a Dread LordHevitanc is a Dread LordHevitanc is a Dread Lord

My sole reason for switching from rune IV to the 28 ac aug from the dsh task was simply because I refuse to put a 28 ac aug in any other slot in my setup. I don't give a damn how good the stats are. 28 ac has no business being in any other slot so I placed it in primary. Haven't noticed a bit of a difference in aggro or survival so it suits me just fine.
Hevitanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Chania
Hdex + Hagi > all

Rep Power: 579 Chania is a golden godChania is a golden godChania is a golden godChania is a golden godChania is a golden godChania is a golden godChania is a golden godChania is a golden godChania is a golden godChania is a golden godChania is a golden god

It's already been parsed out, against 1 or 2 enemies Rune is better. Against multiples, AC aug comes out way ahead. Depends on your playstyle.

Chania Thanatos
Guild Leader of Echoes in Eternity
Povar/Quellious/Rodcet Nife
"Fear now, Snare later"
Chania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Kravyn
I lack creativity

Rep Power: 602 Kravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden god
Send a message via Yahoo to Kravyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chania View Post
It's already been parsed out, against 1 or 2 enemies Rune is better. Against multiples, AC aug comes out way ahead. Depends on your playstyle.
"Way ahead" is a bit of an overexageration. More like its barely better... if at all. And even then, only when you have assloads of mobs; which inherantly means lower teir content to start with. Nobody is swarming anything current.

There is yet to be any conclusive parse whatsoever backing up the AC aug claims. There was a couple small snippits on single group trash last time this came up and that was it.

If it were shield AC... maybe. But its not.

What I do know for sure, is every time rune4 procs (which is pretty often), It mitigates 700 damage for me... melee, spell, what the F ever. And its decent aggro.

AC augs in primary is effectively the new ALEX for Magelo padding, thats it.

Last edited by Kravyn : 05-02-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Kravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Kelefane
Doom and Gloom

Rep Power: 1679 Kelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden godKelefane is a golden god

A lot of Knights have been putting AC augs into primary since GoD. I have and there for years I never even had a magelo. Its just what the person is most comfortable doing. Its not as taboo anymore to do something like that.

Hell, im seeing Paladins these days stick that 8 damage aug from Somnium into their 1her.

Kelefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Kravyn
I lack creativity

Rep Power: 602 Kravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden godKravyn is a golden god
Send a message via Yahoo to Kravyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelefane View Post
A lot of Knights have been putting AC augs into primary since GoD. I have and there for years I never even had a magelo. Its just what the person is most comfortable doing. Its not as taboo anymore to do something like that.

Hell, im seeing Paladins these days stick that 8 damage aug from Somnium into their 1her.
Please don't use "Paladin stupid" to argue this, your better than that =x

Seriously though, how many of what teir mobs make AC better than Rune in terms of solely mitigation? (not even taking aggro or spell mitigation into account)

There is no feasible way a single NON SHIELD Ac aug can make that up with anything that it would matter on anyways.

The reason a majority of knights might NOT be using the aug is laziness. Rune 4 aug was a PITA to get, and for a while, the Rune 3 was also... Alot of the RoV knights didn't even know where to get it when I was still there with you.

Last edited by Kravyn : 05-02-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Kravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Moederneuker
Golgi's personal terrorist

Rep Power: 217 Moederneuker is a BloodreaverMoederneuker is a BloodreaverMoederneuker is a BloodreaverMoederneuker is a BloodreaverMoederneuker is a BloodreaverMoederneuker is a BloodreaverMoederneuker is a BloodreaverMoederneuker is a BloodreaverMoederneuker is a BloodreaverMoederneuker is a BloodreaverMoederneuker is a Bloodreaver

really is a personal preference these days. considering how hard mobs do hit, a 700run on the offchance that it procs when your regular weaopn one had not, really isnt any more than the very slight mitigation boost from the ac. both are miniscule, and as far as the aggro goes, do you really need the extra help? l o l

if i was group only i'd probably go with a nice dmg aug in today's game since group is so gimp to start with that neither rune nor ac is necessary in the slot, but more dps=good.

really is personal preference, there's nothing concrete either way, and thus there is no "i'm right and you're wrong" in this, period. various parses have been posted on both sides, which one speaks to you is a matter of you, and nobody else. magelo padding is hardly an issue and as said, not everyoen that uses ac in prim even keeps magelo updated.

use whatever makes the most sense for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumdum View Post
I'd just make it in then at 164. I am only slightly smarter than Sam Deathwalker...
Somebody shoot me: First, I agree with Golgi, and then I rank somewhere between Sam Deathwalker and a guy that calls himself Dumdum.
Moederneuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Xarq

Rep Power: 87 Xarq is a sinister Shadow KnightXarq is a sinister Shadow KnightXarq is a sinister Shadow KnightXarq is a sinister Shadow Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravyn View Post
What I do know for sure, is every time rune4 procs (which is pretty often), It mitigates 700 damage for me... melee, spell, what the F ever.
Quote:
[484] Rune IVClasses: ENC/40:
Absorb Damage: 100% Total: 394
Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Twinkeltoes
AC > Sex

Rep Power: 896 Twinkeltoes is a golden godTwinkeltoes is a golden godTwinkeltoes is a golden godTwinkeltoes is a golden godTwinkeltoes is a golden godTwinkeltoes is a golden godTwinkeltoes is a golden godTwinkeltoes is a golden godTwinkeltoes is a golden godTwinkeltoes is a golden godTwinkeltoes is a golden god

I was forever in the rune only on primary group, then after some experimenting with the damage aug I liked it after I got VoD and stuff to help me heal myself. But now I'm more in the AC group, especially now that we have AC augs with stats/heroics that we can put into raid weapons. (I don't have a good raid weapon yet though, stupid we can't put them in group weapons)

Agro is never an issue for me, so that arguement goes out the window. As far as the rune goes, I'm healed enough to make up any rune lose from the 2nd rune proc since our weapons always have an innate rune on it. I like the extra AC to help control spikes in damage and keep constant mitigation instead of random runes, and runes that proc on each other.\

It's really not as cut and dry as it was back in the day, especially with the increase in damage we recieve from mobs. Any of the three there is an arguement for. My best suggestion is to try them each out and see what fits your play style the best.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools"
Twinkeltoes is offline   Reply With Quote