EvilGamer Forums  

Go Back   EvilGamer Forums > EverQuest > The Armory
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Armory Weapon, Armor, and Utility gear discussion.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
jonnypanic
parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus

Rep Power: 388 jonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden god
Default New Cultural Weapons

I found the books for these on the west wall of Feerott Dream, looked them up and was... well... interested. Thought I'd point em out to other hopeful group SKs.

Knight-only twohander: One of these (one of them gets a proc from powersources) plus one of these. That makes for a twohander with over 190 damage not counting elemental damage, a proc with the infused type, and room for your Lavasource or better damage aug.

Knight-only onehander: One of these plus one of these. A onehander with 146 or better damage not counting elemental damage, also possibly infusible and with a slot for your Rune IV aug.

They both take Shimmering Loam, Osmium Ore, Fantastic Silks (for the molds) and Fantastic Animal Pelt (for the hilt wrap), so some of us may not see them soon, but they're there.

My question is, the Skeptic symbols have more raw damage than the other symbols, but some of the other symbols have Chromatic and Prismatic elemental damage which, if effective, would make them more powerful than the Skeptic augs, such as the symbol of the Brood. Which would some of you use?

Last edited by jonnypanic : 10-16-2010 at 10:05 AM.
jonnypanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Khauruk
Imposter

Rep Power: 378 Khauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden god

*Terror or Compassion - I think offhand that Compassion will provide more healing (would have to look at some numbers though), but they'll both be pretty small.
*Integrity - if they upgrade the proc to stun over lvl89, or you're fighting primarily content which is blue. It won't provide much defensive benefit, but it would provide some.
*Warmonger - small attack debuff. There're worse choices by far. It might even be the best choice defensively.

Each of these will be essentially the same dps on the 1h as Skeptic. They will each be slightly more dps probably on the 2h (skeptic = 88dmg, others ~89 damage).

Last edited by Khauruk : 10-16-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Khauruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
jonnypanic

Rep Power: 388 jonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden god

The issue at hand is that most elemental damage generally parses to be about 25% to 33% of their actual value. This means that +5 Magic Damage on some twohander augs parses out to an actual benefit of perhaps +1.25 to +1.6 additional weapon damage, turning an 84+5 aug into effectively an 85-86 aug, and it fluctuates depending on the MR of the target.

However, Prismatic and Chromatic damage is somewhat more flexible. I may have them turned around, but iirc, Prismatic attacks the average of the mob's five resists while Chromatic attacks the lowest resist, which may make Chromatic more valuable in a parse than a Magic damage aug, a Poison damage aug, etc. Also, I didn't notice a Corruption damage aug, but if there is one, mobs in the group game generally don't have any considerable Corruption resists.

This means the Chromatic or Corruption aug would be the most valuable for raw damage. However, I wonder if they would be effective enough to parse at anywhere over 50% of their actual value on average, because if an 84+7cor or 84+7chr aug can be generally expected to parse at at least 88 effective raw damage, with the chance to perform at 89, then I'd use them. However, if not, then I'd use the Skeptic aug for it's reliable raw damage.

Also of note: I don't want a stun aug because I'm DPSing or swarming with my twohander, not tanking in Uf/HoT. The heal on the Compassion aug is only 125... I can crit it to 250, but I might get better healing out of a higher raw damage weapon more consistently than 5 times a minute. The warmonger aug reduces the mob's ATK by 41... not entirely useless, but with little raw effect without an additional... um... effect. And all procs only proc versus my target, whereas the healing from raw weapon damage comes from all mobs damaged by the weapon, making it more valuable for reliable dps and swarming.

It's my opinion that the procs on Cultural weapons suck compared to the benefit we get from raw damage. I feel and have always felt... since they were introduced in SoD... that they were way behind the expansion, but it was generally made up for by the fact that the weapons themselves were, ratio-wise, far ahead of the beginning of the expansion. These weapons are a big boost ahead of T1 HoT for us, just like the Stalwart Long Hammer was powerful enough that I had to get into Rathe Council Chambers (T4) to find better.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Khauruk
Imposter

Rep Power: 378 Khauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden godKhauruk is a golden god

Wow, I read corruption damage on all of those. Lame.

Chromatic is plenty good though, and I'd call it a toss-up, with imo no real wrong way to go from those I listed.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Kraetos
Established Member

Rep Power: 178 Kraetos is a RevenantKraetos is a RevenantKraetos is a RevenantKraetos is a RevenantKraetos is a RevenantKraetos is a RevenantKraetos is a RevenantKraetos is a RevenantKraetos is a RevenantKraetos is a RevenantKraetos is a Revenant

The warmonger aug looks like it would do debuff hate (anyone ever parsed it?) which would make it the best 1 hander aug out of the bunch for a tank imo.

I'd take the skeptic aug on a 2hander just cause elemental junk doesn't help under mc/epic/lc, though the gains would be rather minimal.
Kraetos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Klotar
Forum told me to set a custom title so I did

Rep Power: 421 Klotar is a golden godKlotar is a golden godKlotar is a golden godKlotar is a golden godKlotar is a golden godKlotar is a golden godKlotar is a golden godKlotar is a golden godKlotar is a golden godKlotar is a golden godKlotar is a golden god
Send a message via ICQ to Klotar Send a message via MSN to Klotar Send a message via Yahoo to Klotar

Wow, these weapons look fantastic. I'd always dismissed cultural weapons as bleh (or never looked at them closely enough). I'm still using a 4-expansion old weapon and tbh, I wasn't overly looking at that as an upgrade slot, but wow... just wow.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Umbraeques
Quando omni flunkus maratati

Rep Power: 523 Umbraeques is a golden godUmbraeques is a golden godUmbraeques is a golden godUmbraeques is a golden godUmbraeques is a golden godUmbraeques is a golden godUmbraeques is a golden godUmbraeques is a golden godUmbraeques is a golden godUmbraeques is a golden godUmbraeques is a golden god
Send a message via ICQ to Umbraeques Send a message via Yahoo to Umbraeques

The stalwart ones were decent enough fortheir time for a grouper. These new ones do look considerably better and, for me at least, offer a weapon upgrade that I can reasonably expect to get even though I rarely group and have odd play times. (being a 300 smith/tailor I can do most of the work myself too).

We have plenty of youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
Umbraeques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Khauruk
Imposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klotar View Post
Wow, these weapons look fantastic. I'd always dismissed cultural weapons as bleh (or never looked at them closely enough). I'm still using a 4-expansion old weapon and tbh, I wasn't overly looking at that as an upgrade slot, but wow... just wow.
Aye, once SoD came out, cultural started being a viable path as you worked a toon up. Not amazing, but amazing for crafted.

How do these compare to top end grouping ratios?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Karilis1
He who abides.

Rep Power: 230 Karilis1 is a Scourge KnightKarilis1 is a Scourge KnightKarilis1 is a Scourge KnightKarilis1 is a Scourge KnightKarilis1 is a Scourge KnightKarilis1 is a Scourge KnightKarilis1 is a Scourge KnightKarilis1 is a Scourge KnightKarilis1 is a Scourge KnightKarilis1 is a Scourge KnightKarilis1 is a Scourge Knight

I think top end two hander was... 203/36 on a shadowknight only weapon, that I'm not sure made it live. Something like Warlord's axe/halberd/partisan. It looked like basically an exact copy of Dread's Blade with a 5-10% upgrade in quality. Should come from Sanctum Somnium Giant Warlord.

Our one handers are pretty spectacular, ubermage linked two that were rotting last night... Grr >< and one tier 3 one rotting the day before. He couldn't wait for one more task before plowing through tier 3 without me, heheh. So basically I missed out on all the one handers in tier 3 and four already, but fairly good ratios, 150'ish/33-36 delay depending on weapon type (pierce blunt or slash.) I think the blunt he linked proc'ed a hate/stun dd, and the piercer had blessed rune IV.
Wielder of Greenmist
Grand Lord of Cabilis
Dread Lord, Onyx Wing
Karilis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
jonnypanic

No idea, but Shimmering Loam is turning out to be a bear to find, let alone afford. I just want the twohander, but I'm yet to see a loam in baz, and they don't seem to drop in Feerott Dream, the furthest I've been so far. X(