EvilGamer Forums  

Go Back   EvilGamer Forums > EverQuest > Abilities and Tactics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Abilities and Tactics A place to discuss SK abilities such as Spells, AA's, and Melee as well as how to best use them.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Sinzent

Default swarming?

Hello brand new to forums and tried searching this but never got answer I was looking for.
What is swarming?
what aa are required/spells gear to be effective at it and what con mobs.
thank you for your response
Sinzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Bacilli

Rep Power: 315 Bacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden god

Seriously? I'm at a loss for words.

Here is just ONE of the million threads on swarming. I chose this one as it has a similar question you were asking.

Bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Drakang
Stupid enough to accept a Guild lead tag

Rep Power: 290 Drakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a BloodreaverDrakang is a Bloodreaver

Lots of threads to read on it.

Bottom line swarming is while solo pulling more than one mob and killing them all. Key is epic click and mortal coil to keep you healed and high damage shield to help kill them faster.

How many more than one depends on gear, AA etc. A raid geared SK in the right zones can easily do 10-15 mobs.

Keep searching. I dont know what words you entered but you really did miss a ton of threads.

The power of hate conquers all.
Drakang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Sinzent

sotty i actually used swarming but it came up with alot of complaints about swarming and not much about hows and mechanics of it and thank you for the replys
Sinzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Slein Jinn
Opener of Tightly Closed Jars

Rep Power: 1557 Slein Jinn is a golden godSlein Jinn is a golden godSlein Jinn is a golden godSlein Jinn is a golden godSlein Jinn is a golden godSlein Jinn is a golden godSlein Jinn is a golden godSlein Jinn is a golden godSlein Jinn is a golden godSlein Jinn is a golden godSlein Jinn is a golden god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakang View Post
Lots of threads to read on it.

Bottom line swarming is while solo pulling more than one mob and killing them all. Key is epic click and mortal coil to keep you healed and high damage shield to help kill them faster.

How many more than one depends on gear, AA etc. A raid geared SK in the right zones can easily do 10-15 mobs.

Keep searching. I dont know what words you entered but you really did miss a ton of threads.
This is at best a very poor account of what swarming is and at worst a factually incorrect use of "swarming" as a technical term. Just read the linked thread; it is far and away the most informative on the subject. I still maintain that I'm not going to repeat the information I posted there anywhere else on these forums.

Slightly cynical, somewhat jaded, and very bitter.

If you can't set a good example, you'll have to settle for being a horrible warning.
- Catherine the Great

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
- Mark Twain

Duke Slein Jinn
Scourge Knight on E'ci

Stand Up for the Champions!
Slein Jinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
jonnypanic
parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus

Rep Power: 390 jonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden god

Aye... learn to search. If just the word "swarming" gets too many results, look for something like "how to swarm".

I imagine there's an article out there somewhere on how to use a search engine. Apply similar tactics.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Berg
Assume I'm wrong, just explain why

Rep Power: 281 Berg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a Bloodreaver

The EGN search engine is all kinds of buggy for some people (and not for others, apparently). One workaround is to use google, and type site:www.evilgamer.net in the search line along with your search requirements. That lets you use google (which you probably already are familiar with, and which isn't buggy) to search only EGN.

Swarming, in general, is killing large numbers of mobs by any means.

Swarming, SK Style, is using DS and Riposte to do most of your damage, and riposte+MC/epic/Leechcurse to keep yourself alive.

The idea is that you can kill 30 mobs in about the same amount of time and effort as you can kill 10 mobs. Killing two or three mobs at once is not swarming, it's just multiples... and there's a grey area somewhere in the 5-10 range where you're getting part "swarm" but aren't getting heals enough to survive without your non-riposte melee, which in turn means your "swarm" size is limited.

Trouble there is, small swarms mean spiky damage and spiky riposting which in turn mean spiky healing. This means "sort of swarming" is a lot more like "multiples" than it is like real swarming. Once swarming really takes off, there's little real difference between 15 mobs and 30, except in the effort it takes to pull them all to your kill spot.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Sheitan
Elder Member

Rep Power: 0 Sheitan Sheitan Sheitan Sheitan Sheitan Sheitan Sheitan Sheitan Sheitan Sheitan Sheitan

the number of mobs you can handle in one pull entirely depends on how their damage will be applied to you.

if you ask me, two zones are a good place to start. first, hit FoS and start tagging animals with DC. keep making bigger trains as you get more comfortable. then go to FC and do it with giants.

next thing you know you will be mass killing the whole zone and getting reported for being a real SK.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

you're all still sluts...
Sheitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
jonnypanic
parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus

Rep Power: 390 jonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheitan View Post
the number of mobs you can handle in one pull entirely depends on how their damage will be applied to you.

if you ask me, two zones are a good place to start. first, hit FoS and start tagging animals with DC. keep making bigger trains as you get more comfortable. then go to FC and do it with giants.

next thing you know you will be mass killing the whole zone and getting reported for being a real SK.
I wouldn't start in Frostcrypt anytime soon... as pointed out to me, those mobs are heavy hitters even for a decent sk. A good sized swarm of them (at least 20-30) can put out a lot of melee dps in a very short period of time, especially since some of them flurry... since one of the basics of swarming is to use a swarm of mobs that isn't able to outdps the healing you'll maintain from ripostes, this makes them some rather high-end swarming material. I buff to 5.2k ac, 33k hp (before steely rk 2), maxed defensives, shielding and avoidance, hstr over 100 and other defensive heroics over 75, 2.2k AAs, and I stilll can't manage a decent sized swarm in FC at the zone-in rooms without using just about every trick in my book.

Considering another basic of swarming is minimizing downtime... spreading out your mana usage and usage of AAs and other tricks to maintain a steady, constant pulling of swarms to kill with minimal medding... this makes them rather poor sources unless you're geared and AA'd enough to tank them. With my experience, it'll take significantly better than T6 group gear to do it.

If I had to give some starting points for a level 85 sk, I'd say start with lower-level mobs like mobs in Relic (have high resists to avoid their odd abilities), elementals and dervishes in Katta Castrum (again, high resists and watch for healers), or FoS animals to get used to swarming techniques, then move to something like Valdeholm west pit (young lakeskaters and oozes) and practice until you can pull the whole pit (east side mature lakeskaters and the tigers up on the ramps too), max your Steadfast Will AAs and Stun Resistance on gear and move into Valdeholm to pull giants and practice a bit at the wolf pen, royal camp or arena, then move to the current popullar swarming spots and start pulling small swarms, adding more as you get used to the zone.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
Bacilli

Rep Power: 315 Bacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden godBacilli is a golden god

To add to JP's start-up zone list:
  • RSS
    Fabulous zone to learn the technique and still get *some* AXP at 85
  • Living Larder
    If you can box one person+merc in Corathus Creep to get the mission
    My preferred zone for the moment
  • Old Blackburrow
    They hit kinda hard
  • Old Commonlands
    Partial camp pulls due to mob dps
  • Bloody Kithicor
    Again partial camp pulls or animals