EvilGamer Forums  

Go Back   EvilGamer Forums > EverQuest > The Arena
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Arena General forum/Wretched Hive of Scum and Villany

Old 06-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Uvaa
Established Member

Rep Power: 226 Uvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow Knight
Default Started a new Bard box. Any tips/AA guides?

Just begging for some advice/info on Bard's really...

I play most of my non-raid time with a friend, and we both box a single character in addition to our mains. Standard group at the moment is:

Me: SK & Wizard
Friend: Cleric & Rogue

Anyway we're levelling up a Bard to fill the pulling/cc role to speed up the group somewhat. I've very little experience in playing a bard, just enjoy grouping with them, so would appreciate any links or advice people would have about building a Bard.

Couple of key things really:
Is there anything like our excellent recommended SK AA guide but for Bards?
Should we bother with Epic 1.5/2.0?
Any essential bard items worth picking up while we're PLing it?

Any other comments would be appreciated.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Grauw
Elder Member

Rep Power: 304 Grauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a Bloodreaver

First of all: http://forums.theconcerthall.net/ EQDiva is no more, you might be able to find some cached pages, but thats about it.

There is not a big AA guide for bards (they kinda lack in AA). Basically get fade asap, get your instrument AA, dps AA, blade dance and whatever class AA you deam important (there are several CC AA). Should get most of that before you reach 600-800 AA.

Epic 1.5/2.0 has a nice clicky. Problem is, you cannot cast it during melody. Casting it will grey out your song buttons for a few seconds (/stopdsong will eventually ungrey them). If you have a complex melody which incorporates multiple songs this is a big pita, as you have to start it all over again.

As for what items to get along the way... http://forums.theconcerthall.net/viewtopic.php?t=4411

Melody does not stop with 4 songs, you can incorporate multiple songs in one melody. eg /melody 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 4, 6, etc. Depends on recast timers and preference of main songs in the twist.

Get your aura when you can and love it. If possible get stormblade song from DoN too. I did not at the time and regretted it.

Last edited by Grauw : 06-25-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Grauw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Uvaa
Established Member

Rep Power: 226 Uvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow KnightUvaa is an accomplished Shadow Knight

Excellent.. guess my googling skills aren't up to scratch today, missed The Concert Hall.

Cheers Grauw! Looks like I need to spend some time in Tacvi then hmmmmm.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Grauw
Elder Member

Rep Power: 304 Grauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a BloodreaverGrauw is a Bloodreaver

If you are on AB i will join you. My bard still needs the sword too ;)
Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
Mikazu
Slay Plant

Rep Power: 495 Mikazu is a golden godMikazu is a golden godMikazu is a golden godMikazu is a golden godMikazu is a golden godMikazu is a golden godMikazu is a golden godMikazu is a golden godMikazu is a golden godMikazu is a golden godMikazu is a golden god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uvaa View Post
Any essential bard items worth picking up while we're PLing it?
Illusion masks are a personal choice. Many rogues and bards love camping to get them, others consider it a waste of time. YMMV, but I have a rogue and actually enjoyed the camps to get some of the more unusual masks, even though I really didn't use them all that much. It was still fun to have them in my bags. :) As an added advantage, if you are leveling while you camp them, you can get xp (albeit at a slower rate than pure xp grinding) while working for the drops.

Some to get:
Dark Elf Mask - Lower Guk - Level 30-35ish
Half Elf Mask - Nederia - Level 40-45ish
Vah Shir Mask - Ssraeshza Temple - Level 50ish
Assling Mask - Chardok - Level 55ish

If your mains are level 80, I don't think you'll be able to get xp by grouping with your lower level character until about level 56, so if you do go this route, you'll probably be harder pressed to maintain a good kill rate with just your bard doing the damage, but even with that, it might be fun to work toward something while leveling up your character. :)
Mikazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Darksidhe
Soledad O'Brien is my hero

Rep Power: 586 Darksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden god

Half-Elf mask is in Jaggedpine forest actually, at the poacher camp. Best strat on that pita camp is to try and pop the other names and leave them up (4 i think), preferably in the big tent.
Don't miss these:
harmony of sound - last debuff
2.5m selos
highsun - gates to spawn
1m slow
snare only - for slow immune
"It's Knights with a clear agenda, intending to undo the good accomplished by Frodlin and others." "I very much agree that Warriors should provide non-partisan information, but I don't think we need jump to what could be Warrior disadvantaging recommendations on what to do about that information. Let's leave the "politics" out of the discussion for the time being and just document what exists." - Battleblade_Xegony
Darksidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:11 AM   #7
Grauw
Elder Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksidhe View Post
Half-Elf mask is in Jaggedpine forest actually, at the poacher camp. Best strat on that pita camp is to try and pop the other names and leave them up (4 i think), preferably in the big tent.
Don't miss these:
harmony of sound - last debuff
2.5m selos
highsun - gates to spawn
1m slow
snare only - for slow immune
Highsun is a very powerful song. Too bad devs noticed this too and made quite a few mobs in the last few expansions immune to the song

Last edited by Grauw : 06-26-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Grauw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Darksidhe
Soledad O'Brien is my hero

Rep Power: 586 Darksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden godDarksidhe is a golden god

Kelp-String Lute of Tide Rituals + MoD = 16h levi.
Boastful Bellow - 2nd best bard AA ever - must for pulling.
Run 10 is nice for pulling indoors.
Instrument/Singing Mastery adds +.8 to song mods.
Put /stopsong first line of all melody hotkeys and Fade hotkey (I have 1 w/ and 1 w/o as you can continue to pulse a song after fading).
If clicking during melody is a big issue, you can make a second 'split' hotkey for the common sets. /melody 1 2 3 4 and /melody 3 4 1 2.
Reqiuem of Time (slow) has a long refresh as well as duration. I twist debuff, RoT, 3 song set X3.
IVU + Fade. Sneak + Fade/invis.
"It's Knights with a clear agenda, intending to undo the good accomplished by Frodlin and others." "I very much agree that Warriors should provide non-partisan information, but I don't think we need jump to what could be Warrior disadvantaging recommendations on what to do about that information. Let's leave the "politics" out of the discussion for the time being and just document what exists." - Battleblade_Xegony
Darksidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:34 AM   #9
Grauw
Elder Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksidhe View Post
Kelp-String Lute of Tide Rituals + MoD = 16h levi.
Boastful Bellow - 2nd best bard AA ever - must for pulling.
Run 10 is nice for pulling indoors.
Instrument/Singing Mastery adds +.8 to song mods.
Put /stopsong first line of all melody hotkeys and Fade hotkey (I have 1 w/ and 1 w/o as you can continue to pulse a song after fading).
If clicking during melody is a big issue, you can make a second 'split' hotkey for the common sets. /melody 1 2 3 4 and /melody 3 4 1 2.
Reqiuem of Time (slow) has a long refresh as well as duration. I twist debuff, RoT, 3 song set X3.
IVU + Fade. Sneak + Fade/invis.
Bellow up to rk 5 is great. Gives a small debuff on the mob. you can also stun mobs with it, but it is tiered like pally stun. Up to rank 5 is only lvl 60 mobs and so on (lvl is made up, not sure what the real figure is). In my opinion it is not worth getting any ranks past rk 5, until you have no more useful AA to get.

I made several variants of one melody. Main melody is HoS(debuff), RoTime (slow), then cycling 4 songs until RoT fades, then the melody restarts with HoS, RoTime, 4 song rotation.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Uvaa
Established Member

Well, 12 hours of PL later our bard is lvl 68 with 190AA's. The extra 6 hours of AFK song singing in the guild hall still hasn't anywhere near maximised the song abilities though - damn songs level up far slower than other 'casting' abilities it seems.

As regards the thread - excellent advise guys! I've hunted down some of the listed songs, but the problem is rare Bard songs pre-lvl 75 don't seem to be in good supply on AB. Might have to level up Research. Anyone know if I can do this on my SK and make any hybrid spell?

Item's wise we're going to wait till she's 80ish and then start farming things I think, there's a goodly number of things to spend time on here - Tacvi sword being top of my list I think.

Commonly used 'melody' lists as Darksidhe/Grauw had would be handy too - twisting in those long duration songs like RoT would take some working out that I'd prefer to avoid if I can ;)

Last edited by Uvaa : 06-29-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Uvaa is offline   Reply With Quote