EvilGamer Forums  

Go Back   EvilGamer Forums > EverQuest > Abilities and Tactics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Abilities and Tactics A place to discuss SK abilities such as Spells, AA's, and Melee as well as how to best use them.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
sgdirtbag

Default Returning Shadowknight

I am returning to EQ after a 2-3 year hiatus. I have some questions and I was hoping to find them here. I cannot access magelo right due to not being able to access the program/site. I will however create a magelo as soon as I am able and add it back to this post. Hopefully tomorrow if everything goes right.

Also I cannot access my EQ players profile due to just transferring the charecter and (I think) because I had a charecter with the same name on the server and deleted that one before the move I cannot access it. So I shall not ask gear questions today.

1) Does anyone have a link to the new format of AA's after they were simplfied into 4 categories and they combined all the stuff that did the same stuff? I read through the post titled "AA guide (up to TBS - reformatted)" and I have made my on condensed format removing all the ones that I (and he) considered uselss. Like the crafting stuff. Also one that would show when I could obtain a specific AA or when I can go to say a certain rank? This way I can plan out my leveling before and not bug the 85 sk's in game.
(sorry about the length of that question)

2) Is cultural armor still a super sought out commodity?

3) I know that my charecter is 65, and I think he is twinked pretty well. Should have max worn DS. But I only have like 30 AA's. Um maxxed Combat Agility, Innate Run 3, Combat Stability 2, Combat Fury 1 and I am not sure what else. In your opinions, should I try to level to 70/71 with a merc, or should I go rape Griegs End. I think I might be able to swarm a bit there. Maybe without the merc.

4) I used to play my SK like a caster. There was almost never a moment that I didnt have a dot on the mob. I even used to count my ticks and start my rotation over again when the first dot was about to run out. Even solo a white (blood raven?)in PoN one time. Took like fifteen minutes and about 30 fears and 100 life taps. Is that still a viable way to play, and would going getting the spell AA's alternating with my combat AA's be a viable, or should I just get all the melee oriented ones first and get the spells later? Oh yeah I think i have Mnemonic Retention already.

5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgi View Post
Code:
Innate Damage Shields:
===============
  35/DS Damage Shield Bonuses on Equipment (worn item mod)
  54/DS Intense Hatred AA (18 ranks @ 3/DS each)

Highest Self Buffed Damage Shields:
===============
  24/DS Slot 01:Armor of Magma(Red Dragonscale Armor)
  45/DS Slot 02:Illusionary Spikes IV(-several items-)
   4/DS Slot 03:Spikecoat(Fabled/Girdle of Living Thorns)
  27/DS Slot 04:Storm Guard(Stormeye Band)
  28/DS Slot 06:Drape of Korafax Rk.III(sk self buff@84)
 450/DS Slot 07:Scourge Skin(sk AA)(Limit:100 hits/3 min)

~~~~~~
 217/DS *Shadowknight Sustainable Max*
 ~~~~~~
I pulled this from the post prior to the AA list. Approximately how much of this should I be getting at 65. This way I can judge my progess and see if I fail or I am progessing about average. I usually only use the level 25 Distillate of Skinspike potions as the rest are over prices I think. I cannot find out what level I need to be to get the Instense Hatred AA, nor the Scourge Skin. If you can remember off the top of your head. I am trying to research it all right now but my internet is about as slow as dial up.

Any advice you can provide will be very helpful. I am sorry about the length of the post, but I figured it was better having a long post rather than 15 of them.

Thank you in advance.
sgdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
asinann
Creepy Grampa

Rep Power: 484 asinann is a golden godasinann is a golden godasinann is a golden godasinann is a golden godasinann is a golden godasinann is a golden godasinann is a golden godasinann is a golden godasinann is a golden godasinann is a golden godasinann is a golden god

Run While You Can! Oh, and the way you play will get you laughed off the board, you might want to edit that out of your post.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Eroq

Read all the guides here. Your a tank so get your melee aa's, worry about your casting aa later. If you want to play your sk like a caster roll a necro, might be less painful.
Eroq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
sgdirtbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinann View Post
Run While You Can! Oh, and the way you play will get you laughed off the board, you might want to edit that out of your post.
Nah, if someone comes in and tells me that I am a dumb shit for doing that then I won't do it any more. I never raided, but when ever I was in a group tanking, I never had any complaints, always had a mob for the group to fight and was always able to split pull mobs. DPS might not have been maxed but I am sure I can fix that.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
jonnypanic
parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus

Rep Power: 391 jonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden god

Yer a tank. Act like it. There, satisfied?

The THREAD for AAs is pretty extensive. Don't just read the post, read the thread. There's another, updated AA list around here too... not sure if it's a seperate post or in that thread.

Gear for the mid-level game is easily available to really pump you up. At 65, I'd suggest looking for gear from the lower Secrets of Faydwer zones for something like this 2hp. Cultural should stilll be good as well. Look up current and past Hot Zones and follow them to get the best AC augs you can get at your level, this will also lead to some xp. You may or may not want to look into the new jewelcraft for a quick fix of stats, resists, hp, mana, endurance, and some AC, but be aware that the jewelcrafted stuff does not have heroic stats, mod2s or foci so use em for the quick fix but be ready to move to other gear when it has appropriate heroics, mod2s and foci.

I suggest grinding AAs, level, AAs, level, etc. If you're in a position where you feel comfortable pulling GE and getting good AAs for it, stick with that. If not, poke around here and see what some good places are to stop and grind AAs at various levels. Don't race to 85 with few AAs, nobody wants a paper tank, and, while I'm sure Berg will tell you yyou can be a puller at 85 if you don't have tanking AAs, you also want decent AAs by the time you reach high levels so you can swarm pull for the best SK AAxp returns.

Just don't race to 85. Nobody wants a level 85 SK with 30 AAs, or 100, or 50o. It's just not good business.

We lose fear after the level 67 one, which only affects up to level 65 mobs anyways. There's also no point in having good DS if the mobs don't hit you. Learn to go toe-to-toe with yer target... at your level, with the gear now available to you, you should be able to slice right through a mob your level easily.

Dots at your level are a waste of time. With a decent weapon, their cast time is so long you'll lose swings even if you're well-hasted, and don't do much for their cost. The only one that MIGHT be worthwhile is Asystole for it's ac/str debuff, but it's minor.

We have mercs now, which are almost like NPC group members. At your level, the tank is good, but you still have to share xp with him. You may want to try getting a healer to back you up as you tank, and a good idea even if you're not going to use them is to unsuspend them long enough to get the cleric buffs, then suspend them again. On a similar note, there are potions that you might find in bazaar and definitely in PoK that cast haste (up to 50% haste depending on level), hp/mana regen that stacks with sk lich, and heal over time and straight heal potions with a one minute recast to heal yourself.

My workday is done, so I'll stop here, but I hope this helps. Good luck, soldier.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
Graebec
What time is it? VUVUZELA TIME BZZZZZZZZ

Rep Power: 1262 Graebec is a golden godGraebec is a golden godGraebec is a golden godGraebec is a golden godGraebec is a golden godGraebec is a golden godGraebec is a golden godGraebec is a golden godGraebec is a golden godGraebec is a golden godGraebec is a golden god

http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6376 = Updated AA List.
Graebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Berg
Assume I'm wrong, just explain why

Rep Power: 281 Berg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a Bloodreaver

DoT's are, in the end, a minor consideration. At best, all they do is increase your DPS... but it's questionable whether they even do that.

Lifetap AA's, though, not only increase your DPS, but also work as spot healing.

Particularly attractive is TOTC, which gives you a proc based tap that will keep firing as long as you keep swinging

By tanking AA's, they principally mean the ones that increase your defensive output, and they are of course right, the easiest hits to survive are the ones that didn't land, and the next easiest are the ones that hit for a lot less damage than they should have.

But lifetap AA's are also tanking AA's, due to the healing, and so are offensive melee DPS ones, in the long run, because you'll end up using various things that give you some healing as a return on your melee damage.

Plus, of course, doing more DPS means mob dead faster, and the easiest mob hits to survive are the ones that aren't happening because the mob is already dead.

You could use that same theory to defend DOT DPS...but the problem is that DoT's do that damage without healing you at all, and they aren't very good at doing damage anyway. As JP points out, depending on your weapon, you may end up -losing- damage on the ones you are casting now. Later there will be insta cast ones, but even then, you may find it's better DPS (and is certainly better healing) to cast a lifetap instead, when the gem's ungrey.

Don't overlook stuff like more buff slots, more spell gems, hatestep... there are bunch of little gems out there that aren't strictly offensive OR defensive, but that make the class better overall.

And wear sunscreen.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
sgdirtbag

Ok, so basically

1) Don't really use my dots unless they provide utility, like darkness for snare (incase they run), the diseased based one because they reduce AC, and then fill in my spell gems with the DD line, Stat and HP tap lines and other utility spells.

2) Stop being a necro with plate

3) Farm the new and previous hot zones for the AC augments.

4) Farm AA's, I knew that have more than 500 when I get to 85 (I would like to have a lot.)

-Note on #4. I was thinking of swarming in Griegs end. I cannot view my stats yet, I will try to get my magelo workign today. I do not think that I am super twinked but I think I am doing ok as far as AC/HP.

I did have a question tho. If I plan on swarming is it better to use sword and board or is it better to use the 2-Hander.

Really quick my stats are unbuffed:

HP 7622
AC 1698
ATK 1493
Stats 280-285

I do have the Dawnlight Zweihander, W??? Arc Blade and a Tae EW Shield. It looks like I have Elaborate Defiant on my main pieces and a couple of the Dwerium Trio Jewelry, but with the shitty 2 stats on them. I am not seeing a haste item equiped but have a 31% in the bank, Coild Serpentskin Belt.

It looks like have have about a full set of the Elaborate Dreadgaurd in the bank. I know that I did not post a magelo but am working on that right now.

Thank you for the information so far.

Ok I also went and replaced the trio gear with the Elaborate combatants bands and will be buying the earrings as well when I get the money.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
jonnypanic
parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus

Rep Power: 391 jonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden godjonnypanic is a golden god

1) yes.
2) Yes. The concept of "hybrids" is long dead; Shadowknights are about as much half necro as a daisy is half engine block. We're tanks with plenty of hp-returning damage abilities, get used to using them.
3) farm the BEST AC augs you can manage. Use this guide to help you plan for ac aug camp, the best you can manage now and as you level up.
4) Yes. Good lad.

At 65, if you're going to be 65-70 for a while longer I'd suggest you get some Cultural gear instead of Defiant. Also, for jewelry, just get Taaffeites if you can, and insert them with opals (hp) and peridots (ac). You can't have two of the same gem in a piece of jewelry, so one opal, one peridot and a taaffeite will probably be your best bet. IF you can get them, Underfoot Diamonds are better than Taaffeites, but they're new enough to still be pricey right now.

Really, you only need a sword n board when tanking challenging content. If the swarm you pulled is starting to kick your ass or the mob you're tanking is just putting out too much dps while you're using your two-hander, switch to sword n board.

Barring that, tank and swarm with a two-hander to your heart's content. The increased dps is hard to pass up unless you have to, not to mention the healing you get from "healing from weapon damage" effects like your 1.5/2.0 click, Leechcurse disc, Mortal Coil and the recourse of Horror buff procs.

There are other guides on this site to answer many of your questions... in fact, even I have posted plenty of info for new or returning players... so you may want to use search or dig around my past posting history to get to some useful info.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Berg
Assume I'm wrong, just explain why

Rep Power: 281 Berg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a BloodreaverBerg is a Bloodreaver

Here's a good way to test whether you can swarm. Aggro a mob or two in your chosen zone, click your epic, and just stand there without turning attack on or casting anything at all. If your hp stays in the 95-100% range until your epic wears off, you may be able to swarm that mob.

Next, kill some mobs, one or two at a time, until MC procs, now pull another mob quick, and do the experiment again. It's not really swarming unless MC can keep you afloat.

If Experiment one fails, you probably need: more AC, more defensives, more SCRM, or maybe... you suddenly realized you don't have your 1.5 yet. (or 2.0). Or you just need easier mobs. They must be LB, but other than that you're on the lookout for mobs that have few HP and hit as lightly as possible.

If experiment one works and experiment two doesn't, you probably just need more ranks of MC.

Now the problem with swarming is that, in addition to surviving mobs (and note, if you can survive either experiment with one mob, you should be able to survive 30 mobs the exact same way), you need mobs to die fast. Experiment three, pull four mobs, repeat experiment one, but also turn attack on and strike back, cast spells, pull out all the stops. Did you kill all four before epic ran off?

Experiment four: repeat experiment two, only same plan as experiment three. Did you kill all four before MC ran out?

On average you will need to kill at -least- four mobs before your leechback runs out. There's only a 25% chance per kill of MC proccing. Oddly, its easier to do this when you have 30 mobs on you than when you have four on you, since -some- of those 30 mobs will run afoul of the RNG and be hurt more.

But at any rate, if you can't pass 3 and 4, then you need more offensive AA or better weapon or just a better plan.