PDA

View Full Version : New Cultural Weapons

jonnypanic
10-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I found the books for these on the west wall of Feerott Dream, looked them up and was... well... interested. Thought I'd point em out to other hopeful group SKs.

Knight-only twohander: One of these (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=Knight%27s+Great+Sword) (one of them gets a proc from powersources) plus one of these (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=ious+vicious+symbol). That makes for a twohander with over 190 damage not counting elemental damage, a proc with the infused type, and room for your Lavasource or better damage aug.

Knight-only onehander: One of these (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=knight%27s+crys) plus one of these (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=ous+nimble+symbol). A onehander with 146 or better damage not counting elemental damage, also possibly infusible and with a slot for your Rune IV aug.

They both take Shimmering Loam, Osmium Ore, Fantastic Silks (for the molds) and Fantastic Animal Pelt (for the hilt wrap), so some of us may not see them soon, but they're there.

My question is, the Skeptic symbols have more raw damage than the other symbols, but some of the other symbols have Chromatic and Prismatic elemental damage which, if effective, would make them more powerful than the Skeptic augs, such as the symbol of the Brood. Which would some of you use?

Khauruk
10-16-2010, 03:20 PM
*Terror or Compassion - I think offhand that Compassion will provide more healing (would have to look at some numbers though), but they'll both be pretty small.
*Integrity - if they upgrade the proc to stun over lvl89, or you're fighting primarily content which is blue. It won't provide much defensive benefit, but it would provide some.
*Warmonger - small attack debuff. There're worse choices by far. It might even be the best choice defensively.

Each of these will be essentially the same dps on the 1h as Skeptic. They will each be slightly more dps probably on the 2h (skeptic = 88dmg, others ~89 damage).

jonnypanic
10-17-2010, 12:11 AM
The issue at hand is that most elemental damage generally parses to be about 25% to 33% of their actual value. This means that +5 Magic Damage on some twohander augs parses out to an actual benefit of perhaps +1.25 to +1.6 additional weapon damage, turning an 84+5 aug into effectively an 85-86 aug, and it fluctuates depending on the MR of the target.

However, Prismatic and Chromatic damage is somewhat more flexible. I may have them turned around, but iirc, Prismatic attacks the average of the mob's five resists while Chromatic attacks the lowest resist, which may make Chromatic more valuable in a parse than a Magic damage aug, a Poison damage aug, etc. Also, I didn't notice a Corruption damage aug, but if there is one, mobs in the group game generally don't have any considerable Corruption resists.

This means the Chromatic or Corruption aug would be the most valuable for raw damage. However, I wonder if they would be effective enough to parse at anywhere over 50% of their actual value on average, because if an 84+7cor or 84+7chr aug can be generally expected to parse at at least 88 effective raw damage, with the chance to perform at 89, then I'd use them. However, if not, then I'd use the Skeptic aug for it's reliable raw damage.

Also of note: I don't want a stun aug because I'm DPSing or swarming with my twohander, not tanking in Uf/HoT. The heal on the Compassion aug is only 125... I can crit it to 250, but I might get better healing out of a higher raw damage weapon more consistently than 5 times a minute. The warmonger aug reduces the mob's ATK by 41... not entirely useless, but with little raw effect without an additional... um... effect. And all procs only proc versus my target, whereas the healing from raw weapon damage comes from all mobs damaged by the weapon, making it more valuable for reliable dps and swarming.

It's my opinion that the procs on Cultural weapons suck compared to the benefit we get from raw damage. I feel and have always felt... since they were introduced in SoD... that they were way behind the expansion, but it was generally made up for by the fact that the weapons themselves were, ratio-wise, far ahead of the beginning of the expansion. These weapons are a big boost ahead of T1 HoT for us, just like the Stalwart Long Hammer was powerful enough that I had to get into Rathe Council Chambers (T4) to find better.

Khauruk
10-17-2010, 02:11 AM
Wow, I read corruption damage on all of those. Lame.

Chromatic is plenty good though, and I'd call it a toss-up, with imo no real wrong way to go from those I listed.

Kraetos
10-17-2010, 12:08 PM
The warmonger aug looks like it would do debuff hate (anyone ever parsed it?) which would make it the best 1 hander aug out of the bunch for a tank imo.

I'd take the skeptic aug on a 2hander just cause elemental junk doesn't help under mc/epic/lc, though the gains would be rather minimal.

Klotar
10-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Wow, these weapons look fantastic. I'd always dismissed cultural weapons as bleh (or never looked at them closely enough). I'm still using a 4-expansion old weapon and tbh, I wasn't overly looking at that as an upgrade slot, but wow... just wow.

Umbraeques
10-18-2010, 09:56 AM
The stalwart ones were decent enough fortheir time for a grouper. These new ones do look considerably better and, for me at least, offer a weapon upgrade that I can reasonably expect to get even though I rarely group and have odd play times. (being a 300 smith/tailor I can do most of the work myself too).

Khauruk
10-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Wow, these weapons look fantastic. I'd always dismissed cultural weapons as bleh (or never looked at them closely enough). I'm still using a 4-expansion old weapon and tbh, I wasn't overly looking at that as an upgrade slot, but wow... just wow.

Aye, once SoD came out, cultural started being a viable path as you worked a toon up. Not amazing, but amazing for crafted.

How do these compare to top end grouping ratios?

Karilis1
10-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I think top end two hander was... 203/36 on a shadowknight only weapon, that I'm not sure made it live. Something like Warlord's axe/halberd/partisan. It looked like basically an exact copy of Dread's Blade (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=93704) with a 5-10% upgrade in quality. Should come from Sanctum Somnium Giant Warlord.

Our one handers are pretty spectacular, ubermage linked two that were rotting last night... Grr >< and one tier 3 one rotting the day before. He couldn't wait for one more task before plowing through tier 3 without me, heheh. So basically I missed out on all the one handers in tier 3 and four already, but fairly good ratios, 150'ish/33-36 delay depending on weapon type (pierce blunt or slash.) I think the blunt he linked proc'ed a hate/stun dd, and the piercer had blessed rune IV.

jonnypanic
10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
No idea, but Shimmering Loam is turning out to be a bear to find, let alone afford. I just want the twohander, but I'm yet to see a loam in baz, and they don't seem to drop in Feerott Dream, the furthest I've been so far. X(

Karilis1
10-18-2010, 03:48 PM
I've yet to have a loam drop and I've slain up into and through tier three, I've got somnium access now, but not going to bother going until I get some free time again, I need a vacation.

I've got... 10-20 osmium ore, 10-20 fantastic silk, and 4-7 fantastic pelts, and I've been main looting with nearly non stop killing for 4-16 hours a day since launch. I saw one spinnerette I think in tier 3.
Edited to add: The blunt had blessed rune IV: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=93535 the piercer must have had the stun proc.

Taibok
10-19-2010, 03:29 AM
I got one of each fluid, marrow, and loam within about an hour of killing in Somnium.

jonnypanic
10-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Aye, something a dev just said recently suggests they don't drop until you get into HoT tier 3. That sucks. At least it'll be easier for people to get there in large numbers so they occur more often... I hope.

Rezinnx
10-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Had 1 fanatastic silk drop in Underquarry off Envoy Frindar. Thats all I've seen cultural wise but still not t3 flagged was gone the first week.

Karilis1
10-20-2010, 10:33 AM
The silks pelts and ores won't be a big deal, but the loams/spinerettes are going to be ubertastically effing rare, since they'll be behind the farthest progression lock available this side of convorteum. (That being said, someone could conceivably get tier 3 access easier than convorteum, and stand at the entrance to house upper, killing for a few months and make a suit of cultural strong enough to go back and unlock convorteum access if they had been having trouble due to weak gear... ell oh ell to that.)

Karilis1
10-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Up to four loams, but in that amount of time, I've also gotten Giant Warlord's "Warlord's Shadowy Halberd".

Erollisi Marr - The Nameless Karilis Sigils Oct 24 2010

Never expected to be a server first loot on anything, much less a 198 +1 magic damage two hander. (Great camp by the way, three very obvious PHs all completely single in the kobold/giant area of Sanctum Somnium)

So, while I won't be checking out what it takes to smith a cultural weapon, I still may selectively pick and choose some cultural armor stuff, since I have enough for four attempts (enough to succeed once on one item). I doubt I'll be able to tag along on any HoT raids though to get a cultural cosgrove drop.

Graebec
10-25-2010, 10:15 AM
I'll have to snag you in game to show me all the cool camp spots.

Kman
10-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Anyone know where the extravagant molds are ? Have checked several smith merchants can't seem to locate them. Is there a book for the new weapon symbols that you need to scribe for the recipes? Thanks I have a few loams and wanted to make a new 2 hander

jonnypanic
10-26-2010, 03:16 PM
There are books in PoK, I can't remember what they're called just now. Also, you have to make the new molds. The book in Dream Feerott has the details, but it requires clay, a mold sketch, and Fantastic Silks.

Kman
10-26-2010, 03:47 PM
thanks alot , I found the books and scribed them . now to gather a few more supplies.

jonnypanic
10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
A minor question... would anyone resort to the Infused versions? It seems both Metal and Elemental sources add Chaotic Strike to the weapon, which would be annoying when you're not the MT. (I am often not the MT when my small guild does something.)

Would it be much of an issue? How much hate does CS 2 and 3 generate? Would you switch another PS (say, Earth for the root effect) for any reason?

Or should I skip all the questions and make an Uninfused weapon?

Vezax
10-26-2010, 09:04 PM
A minor question... would anyone resort to the Infused versions? It seems both Metal and Elemental sources add Chaotic Strike to the weapon, which would be annoying when you're not the MT. (I am often not the MT when my small guild does something.)

Would it be much of an issue? How much hate does CS 2 and 3 generate? Would you switch another PS (say, Earth for the root effect) for any reason?

Or should I skip all the questions and make an Uninfused weapon?

I used to keep a dead growth ps for tap proc when i used a solt 2her.

jonnypanic
10-27-2010, 02:40 AM
I'm not giving up the stats of a live power source, to be sure. It just makes me wonder a little if I should change my regular swarming/non-tank dps PS from Elemental to another option, as I'm not using an Infused weapon for tanking. Will the CS from my usual Elemental PS make things significantly more difficult for the tank? Does a Earth PS' 48-second root proc have a particular application for us? Etc.

Interestingly, either way, these twohander's aren't far off from the "Warlord's Shadowy Halberd", and with a more lenient level req. Anyone who thinks they won't see the halberd for a while may want to invest in one of these Cultural weapons to get by.

I'm not sure how the onehanders compare, but, lacking a Rune proc, they still fall a bit behind. they may be useful for sword-n-board swarming, though!

fandele longtooth
10-27-2010, 04:05 AM
A minor question... would anyone resort to the Infused versions? It seems both Metal and Elemental sources add Chaotic Strike to the weapon, which would be annoying when you're not the MT.

I might try a shadow orb if I get the opportunity to pick up one of the infusible 2-handers. If memory serves, it's +AC (more than elemental but less than metal), -HP, and adds lifetap procs.

jonnypanic
10-28-2010, 10:16 PM
I sent Kman a PM, but I don't see him here often...

I spent two hours poking around PoK vendors and in dream Feerott and can't find the books to scribe for these weapons. Does anyone know where they are offhand? I know it's not the weapons compendium sold in Rupkerr's camp in Feerott (the book you click Cast Spell to flip over and so change to the next book)... there's supposed to be books to "Scribe" for the recipes.

utania
10-29-2010, 05:52 AM
JP after the new hardware was put onto bertox there are none of the components or books required for HoT Tradeskilling in pok >.<

jonnypanic
10-29-2010, 06:42 PM
I found everything I needed in Qeynos... the weapons grade ore, the coal, the books to scribe, the whole nine yards. If you can shop there, you're set.

Xanathol
10-31-2010, 12:32 AM
I found everything I needed in Qeynos... the weapons grade ore, the coal, the books to scribe, the whole nine yards. If you can shop there, you're set.

Care to elaborate? I still can't find the books to scribe.

jonnypanic
10-31-2010, 04:34 AM
I'm not familiar with Qeynos, so lemme see if I can figure out the NPCs. I was told they were in south Qeynos and used Find to check the Smithing and JC vendors...

I think the guy who sold the Extravagant Weapon Smithing book was Mar Sedder. The Augmenting Extravagant Weapons book... I don't remember the NPC except she is a woman and was... I think... the first Jewelcraft vendor on Find.

Garshok
10-31-2010, 11:36 PM
If I remember correctly I found the Illustrious Augmeting book (for weapons) on a jewelry merchant in North Qeynos (vice South Qeynos for the smithing book).

Sorry I can't recall the named - at least it is Qeynos rather than Freeport, and we have Find now.

Xanathol
11-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Mar SedderFuck me. Here's hoping Crescent reach has them too, as my faction is rock bottom to this guy.

Umbraeques
11-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Smith Nkosi in Crescent reach sells the extravagant book for weapons.

Saeldayar
11-02-2010, 11:11 AM
If I remember correctly I found the Illustrious Augmeting book (for weapons) on a jewelry merchant in North Qeynos (vice South Qeynos for the smithing book).

Sorry I can't recall the named - at least it is Qeynos rather than Freeport, and we have Find now.

SOUTHERN Qeynos: Svena Ironforge has the Illustriuos Augmenting Book, she also has the Blessed if someone needs that

Xanathol
11-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Smith Nkosi in Crescent reach sells the extravagant book for weapons.
Thanks - got that last night.
North Qeynos: Svena Ironforge has the Illustriuos Augmenting Book, she also has the Blessed if someone needs thatYeah, KoS to that bitch too. :frown: Couldn't find the smithing illustrious books in CR or PoK.

Btw, I keep seeing references around different sites to a quest to do ( I guess so one can make the molds ) - is that accurate? If so, have the quest giver's name?

jonnypanic
11-02-2010, 12:16 PM
There's no quests for the weapons, you just have to scribe the books. As for armor, the quest for the book to make molds is the same old beginner quest it was before... get a few drops in this newbie zone, a few drops in this newbie zone, get the book, combine with clay etc for a bag full of molds. Use Find (Ctrl-F) in your hometown and look for the Cultural NPC.

The key new quest is for making the new augments, where you have to get the task and kill several of this mob and get a few impressions, then kill several of this mob until you get a few impressions, and both types of mob will be in HoT with one type locked behind some progression.

Xanathol
11-02-2010, 12:20 PM
The key new quest is for making the new augments, where you have to get the task and kill several of this mob and get a few impressions, then kill several of this mob until you get a few impressions, and both types of mob will be in HoT with one type locked behind some progression.

That's the one I've seen mentioned; that start in your home town too?

jonnypanic
11-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Yep. Same Cultural npc.

Gudkaap Darktouch
11-03-2010, 06:12 AM
BTW i must add in to this thread with a big WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I got really bored last night, went to the bazaar grabbed my 2 silks, loam and fluid.... made my molds and without fails finished up my happy sword... 150k of plat but eh I have a bad habit of not looting in groups, that nasty "oh fuck the puller is going hyper again and chain pulling" problem... Got the infused 2hs, hey i get more ac and with the skeptic symbol, I still get a dd proc, tho fuck the agro off CS, probably get more from a spear crit than 30 mins of swinging that.

But I did it I made my sword.... oh and i threw the blackened acrylia ornament on it too for now... looks spiffy!!! I R happy!

jonnypanic
11-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Heh yeah I'm thinking of grabbin the blackened acrylia ornament for mine, too. I can't find another 2hs ornament that would look better.

Garshok
11-04-2010, 08:22 AM
SOUTHERN Qeynos: Svena Ironforge has the Illustriuos Augmenting Book, she also has the Blessed if someone needs that

Are you sure? Alla's has her as being in Northern Qeynos?

Regardless - if you have the faction to shop there, there aren't too many JC vendors in either zone so easy to check them all. Faction id the biggie.

Saeldayar
11-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Are you sure? Alla's has her as being in Northern Qeynos?

Regardless - if you have the faction to shop there, there aren't too many JC vendors in either zone so easy to check them all. Faction id the biggie.

Garshok, sorry, one or the other... but SHE has it either way...

As a side note, I got my sword today... Magelo is not updated. I did not do combines, guildy did, said everything was trivial to the last. Maxed skills, did use trophy for final combine. I have Inny's symbol in as that's the materials we had on hand and wanted to see results...

Thanks for all the input here guys, it's all pretty much straight forward. Afraid it'll get replaced tonight as we are doing A Cunning Plan, and the Winged Axe of Rebellion beats this easily.

Giggant
11-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Garshok, sorry, one or the other... but SHE has it either way...

As a side note, I got my sword today... Magelo is not updated. I did not do combines, guildy did, said everything was trivial to the last. Maxed skills, did use trophy for final combine. I have Inny's symbol in as that's the materials we had on hand and wanted to see results...

Thanks for all the input here guys, it's all pretty much straight forward. Afraid it'll get replaced tonight as we are doing A Cunning Plan, and the Winged Axe of Rebellion beats this easily.

She is in North Qeynos for sure.

Hmm, I can make the augments for the armor via smithing, are the weapon augs ONLY made via JC? Bit of a pita if so.

jonnypanic
11-05-2010, 09:30 PM
The weapon augs are made with jewelcraft or fletching. Appropriate tradeskill vendors have the books.

Klotar
11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I've read through this thread, looked at Allas, EQTC, and found most of the info here (the other sites are behind). Other than the recipes themselves which seem to be available, what are the summary must-do's prior to trying the combines?

- get book for cultural weapons (I forgot the name, buy it from Ferrott pottery merchant) and scribe? The book had part 1 in the name. Does this mean there are other books part x that we have to buy and scribe?

- get cultural symbol book and do cultural quests?

- then buy/gather parts and do combines?

The bits and pieces are in this thread (various merchants, etc.), I just can't seem put it all together (I'm a dumb fatty). Or should I just say FI and camp the Ritual Impaler?

Xanathol
11-08-2010, 01:35 PM
I've read through this thread, looked at Allas, EQTC, and found most of the info here (the other sites are behind). Other than the recipes themselves which seem to be available, what are the summary must-do's prior to trying the combines?

- get book for cultural weapons (I forgot the name, buy it from Ferrott pottery merchant) and scribe? The book had part 1 in the name. Does this mean there are other books part x that we have to buy and scribe?

- get cultural symbol book and do cultural quests?

- then buy/gather parts and do combines?

The bits and pieces are in this thread (various merchants, etc.), I just can't seem put it all together (I'm a dumb fatty). Or should I just say FI and camp the Ritual Impaler?

For the weapons, you need to scribe Extravagant Weapon Smithing (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=92396).
For the weapon based symbols, you need to scribe Illustrious Weapon Augmenting by Jewelcrafting (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=91450).

Other than that, you just need the stuff and TS to do the combines.

Klotar
11-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Thank you, that tells me I scribed the wrong book and will save frustration down the road. I am 99.9% sure the one I did scribe had Part 1 in the name, so now I know I got the wrong one.

Xanathol
11-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Thank you, that tells me I scribed the wrong book and will save frustration down the road. I am 99.9% sure the one I did scribe had Part 1 in the name, so now I know I got the wrong one.

Sure thing - I think I know the one you are speaking of ( you can click the button and get to the next chapter? ) and I think its pointless, particularly for the weapons. The books you need can be found in PoK by the library in front of the table and in Crescent Reach on the 2nd floor, not on the raised platform but the normal level, next to the aug bath.

jonnypanic
11-08-2010, 03:06 PM
The Weapons Compendium Pt.1 and so forth are not scribed. The books where you read up, click Cast Spell and it says you turn the book over to find the next volume and suddenly you have Pt. 2 instead and so on... they aren't scribed when you click Cast Spell, they just detail all the materials and subcombines you'll need to make the weapons.

The books you actually need to scribe have the button that says "Scribe" when you read them. IIRC they have titles like "Extravagant Weapon Smithing" and "Augmenting Extravagant Weapons with Jewelcraft", that sort of thing. At any rate, the title will include "Extravagant".