PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Augs? (and other questions)

Silvermouse
07-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Now that EQ is free, I thought I'd come back and roll an SK to see how things were (haven't really played since PoP). I have a few quick questions!

1. I found your excellent thread on AC augs, but I've been having trouble trying to figure out what type of augs to put in weapons. I saw a vendor in town who sold a few, but I'm sure there are better ones to go for. I'm looking for something around level 55-60ish, because I want to do some AAs at 60.

2. Assuming I could find some decent bazaar gear later on, would Sebilis be a suitable place to solo AAs at 60, or should I do a few beforehand? I thought I read somewhere that AA exp is determined by the mob's con. Basically, I'd like to do AAs in the older worlds for awhile (for nostalgia purposes). Are the mobs still wimpy compared to newer expansion mobs?

3. When you guys solo, do you generally go sword and board or 2H?

Cool site, btw. It's nice to see an actual active EQ board.

Chania
07-14-2008, 10:50 PM

If I need to use sword & board to solo it, it's too hard for decent XP. Unless I'm trophy hunting...

Axbxcxdx
07-14-2008, 11:11 PM
1. I found your excellent thread on AC augs, but I've been having trouble trying to figure out what type of augs to put in weapons. I saw a vendor in town who sold a few, but I'm sure there are better ones to go for. I'm looking for something around level 55-60ish, because I want to do some AAs at 60.

Best weapon aug is Jade of Ether (http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=89919) (it provides damage mitigation and AoE aggro generation), but that's a bit out of your range at the moment. Look into doing DoN Missions (you can read the DoN guide (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/guides.html?guide=811) for background) and get a Deep Sky Stone (http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=82596) or Deepsky Stone (http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=82197). There are some better aggro generation augs (that have some form of Chaotic Strike on them, or even the Fire Geodes with Anger), but lifetap augs should be more useful in the long run.

2. Assuming I could find some decent bazaar gear later on, would Sebilis be a suitable place to solo AAs at 60, or should I do a few beforehand? I thought I read somewhere that AA exp is determined by the mob's con. Basically, I'd like to do AAs in the older worlds for awhile (for nostalgia purposes). Are the mobs still wimpy compared to newer expansion mobs?

Mobs are still wimpy and exp will blow (few exemptions are some re-vamped zones: e.g., LGuk and Paw). If you want to do it for nostalgia purposes, go for it. It will be more beneficial (in terms of total time spent exping) to do more AA at a lower level. Or, at least, that's what I've read here. If you are stuck on the old world, go for it, but exp will likely be much better in the hot zones.

The consensus is that the mitigation from sword and board is more efficient than the extra DPS from a 2her. The exception is briefly swapping out the epic 1.5/2.0/2.5 for its clicky effect.

Okami
07-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Silvermouse... Silvermouse... Silvermouse...
I used to know someone by that name in EQ....

Garshok
07-15-2008, 08:19 AM

Cool site, btw. It's nice to see an actual active EQ board.

Trying to remember where I was at 60 (so long ago)....

IIRC, back then for soloing I was doing better fear-kiting or reverse-kiting than going head-to-head. So outdoor zones. PoN may be good, then PoF Fire tables later. Gear set-up was for detreimental mana preservation, spall casting haste, etc.

When you go head-to-head, I'd say 2HS vs. sword n' board depends on AC vs. content. With attack ratings on mobs in some of the older zones, it may be possible to get AC high enough with bazaar gear that it doesn't matter much whether you are using a shield. In which case the extra 2HS DPS can increase kill-rate. You'll have to experiment.

Don't know your plat situation, but if you have a bankroll - and plan on leveling pretty soon after getting some basic AAs - you may want to look at buying and banking some of the enameled black plate coming out of LGuk. You can't wear it yet, but it is better than the tier 2 warped steel from SoF, and the required level is only 71. Take a look at the market for a week to see the price patterns, but most pieces are dirt cheap on my server, and the revamped LGuk has been up only a week. If you plan on hitting 71 within a few months, that gear could last you a long time, particularly if you won't be raiding.

Kelefane
07-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Im always 2h when soloing.

flatchy
07-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Im always 2h when soloing.

Dont flatter yourself Kelefane, Ive heard its not that big.

Kelefane
07-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Lol

BastardLunatic
07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Always 2 hand for soloing. Kill rate is the most important thing for EXP, so find mobs that are just weak enough to cause no downtime while using a 2 hander, but still give enough EXP to make it productive. May not apply if you somehow have a super shitty 2 hander and a very uber 1 hander. Try the hotzone just below your level. You can usually find the right soloing mobs there.

In groups and raids, if you're tanking anything that isn't trivial, use 1 hand and shield.

Silvermouse
07-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Silvermouse... Silvermouse... Silvermouse...
I used to know someone by that name in EQ....

Yeah, I played a dwarf rogue on Tarew Marr. Was in Reapers of Fate, then Black Company before I quit (posted on realpoor a lot as well) =)

Thanks for the tips, guys. Oh, and what weapon augs would you recommend for around level 50-60 (those life sap ones say req. 70)? Should I just use the vendor bought?

Draes
07-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Could try Nurga/Droga for AAs and such. Stay near the area where Nurga zones into Droga. This is a very safe place and you can go AFK for hours with no troubles at all.

Personaly I like to use a 2 hander. Like some have said its depends on kill rate and what sorts of stuff you are hunting. Check out bazaar for Elaborate Defiant gear. Its decent stuff and it seems to be going pretty cheap since the Lguk stuff came out.

Good luck to you in your huntings and stuff!!

Grauw
07-16-2008, 03:55 AM
Oh, and what weapon augs would you recommend for around level 50-60 (those life sap ones say req. 70)? Should I just use the vendor bought?

You can check your hometown. You will find an aug merchant there. I think the max is a 50 point lifetap aug on those though. Next best is the Don merchant. He has a 75, 100 and 125 lifetap iirc. Going from required lvl 51 to lvl 55 (?) and lvl 61 (?) (from memory).

Those augs also have a recommended level. Downside on that is that your weapon will take over that recommended level too. So the stats and ratio on your weapon will drop if you dont meet the recommended lvl. If you have a weapon with a recommended level too, thie highest recommended level will be leading. The augs temselves will give their full proc from the required level onwards.

Drelf
07-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Always 2 hand for soloing...

...In groups and raids, if you're tanking anything that isn't trivial, use 1 hand and shield.

If I have the 2h aa bash, should I still use 1h + shield when grouping?

Oryl
07-17-2008, 11:28 AM
If I have the 2h aa bash, should I still use 1h + shield when grouping?

Bash has nothing to do with it. Extra damage mitigation from shield AC and shield block AA (assuming you have them) has everything to do with it.

Weimei
07-18-2008, 12:08 AM
I have the 2.0 and MC. I have found that soloing, even on stuff that can kill me, using the 2.0 can make the difference between living and dieing. The difference in DPS is the only thing I can think of that makes it easier. The mobs are rather spiky as well. (still trying to get my JoE) Mitigation doesn't seem to make that big of a difference for me. Though I am not a power house on AC yet.

Grauw
07-18-2008, 05:00 AM
I have the 2.0 and MC. I have found that soloing, even on stuff that can kill me, using the 2.0 can make the difference between living and dieing. The difference in DPS is the only thing I can think of that makes it easier. The mobs are rather spiky as well. (still trying to get my JoE) Mitigation doesn't seem to make that big of a difference for me. Though I am not a power house on AC yet.

I found that myself as well (though I use yarnhilted). If it is really toe to toe 1h+shield takes too long to kill the mobs, the dmg is less spiky, but the longer time I spend messing with the mob means I have to endure more damage overall. In group settings however I do switch to my 1h+shield as the group can supply the dps and it is my duty to make the life of the healer easier (and keep aggro)

Drelf
07-18-2008, 06:29 AM
Is the Elaborate Defiant Cutlass a good 1h choice for a 63 SK?

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=75098

Which shields do you recommend?

Grauw
07-18-2008, 07:06 AM
No!

Basically any 1 hander that has more then just knights on it will suck for knights. Knight weapons have a far better ratio. You can easily pick up a blade of disruption for a few hundred pp. There is also a 1 hander from a mm thats better, cpt malgrinnor's shortsword or something.

As for shield when just grouping get the shield of the Dain 1 monster mission. If you can attend time raids go and pick up shield of strife.

Okami
07-18-2008, 10:13 AM
What about that slayer axe (I forget the name) it's tradeable and had a rune proc of some kind didn't it?

Oryl
07-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Only SK usable "slayer" axe that I know of is:

Shadow Slayer's Axe
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE
Slot: PRIMARY
Skill: 1H Slashing Atk Delay: 30
DMG: 49 Dmg Bonus: 18 AC: 15
STR: +12 STA: +12 WIS: +10 INT: +10 AGI: +10 HP: +190 MANA: +190
SV DISEASE: +15 SV COLD: +10 SV POISON: +16
Required level of 70.
Effect: Rune III (Combat, Casting Time: Instant)
WT: 3.5 Size: MEDIUM
Class: PAL SHD
Race: ALL
Slot 1, Type 4 (Weapon: General)

but it's no trade.

Okami
07-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Ya, that's it.
But it was tradeable for a short time. I guess it changed. I used to get the link from /buy in bazaar.

Draes
07-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Dunno if itll help but I use a Arcblade and it seems to do a decent Job. Rune proc and can be found for pretty cheap at bazaar last I checked.

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1400904

Okami
07-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I remember the arcblade.
I was looking for an upgrade to the Cudgel from Time, and I wasn't in a guild that was doing Anguish. Even with the rune proc, I just couldn't bring myself to use it because it didn't have ac on it.

kassdax
07-20-2008, 12:22 AM
If you're looking for a decent place to grind aa's go to my favorite hunting ground: Nadox.

As long as you have decent gear (say around 1400AC or better) and a suitable weapon the aa's should fly by, especially with lesson running. So far my solo record is 3.4 aa's during one 30 minute lesson burn....yes the mobs are that easy. Granted when I pulled this off I had a 100+ points worth of DS on me and boney was as decked out and buffed up as he could be. Don't expect these kinds of numbers all the time (unless you have far superior gear or a pl team running around with you).

Now if you don't have 1400AC or better then http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32

As for weapon augs, take other people's advice. I'm still looking for something also. Steadfast servant and healing pots take care of me pretty well in the healing department so something that'll increase my dps would be nice. I wouldn't turn down a nice and easy/free lifetap aug but I'd rather have something else for dps. However boney actually does pretty good dps when he's decked out so even if I put something like a +damage aug or a DD proc aug I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make.

Lillith
07-21-2008, 11:46 AM
If you're the one taking the hits, then a +dmg or DD aug is a waste. Save those for your 2hander.

Get an AC aug for your 1hander or camp the rune3 aug, or at the very least get a lifetap aug.